Sustainability, in all forms, helps preserve our environment and natural resources, supports social and economic equity, and promotes public health. In the context of finding sustainable and ethical cleaning products, sustainability refers to both the product's environmental impact and the health effects of its use.
Cleaning is an essential part of life, but it doesn't have to be toxic. Several sustainable and ethical cleaning products on the market can help keep your home clean without harming the environment or your health. Here are 14 sustainable and ethical cleaning products you can find online for a clean, non-toxic home.
Dig deeper → 5 min
I was fortunate to sit down with Upstream’s CEO, Matt Prindiville. During our conversation, we covered sustainability versus climate change, the power of the public and private sectors, ESG, circular economies, rational climate optimism, and more!
Upstream Solutions is a nonprofit organization founded in 2003 with a mission to not only reduce but remove single-use plastic from the world. Their organization finds, makes, and celebrates practical solutions that help people, businesses, and communities shift from single-use to reuse. Over the past few decades, they’ve worked with countless orgs committed to a more sustainable future.
When asked about the future implications of climate change, Prindiville said, "I'm an optimist. What scientists are saying is, of course, very scary. But when I think about the change I’ve seen in my career, it’s incredible how far we’ve come. Ten years from now, you'll see environmental and social responsibility be the norm worldwide."
Dig deeper → 10 min
The scoop: Cycling is a simple but effective way for individuals to reduce their carbon footprint. On a larger scale, cycling is an important tool in fulfilling the UN's Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Facts and figures:
- 50% of all deliveries in metro areas can be completed by bicycle.
- Switching from a car to a bicycle saves 150g of CO₂ per kilometer. (UNEP)
- A 2015 Institute for Transportation and Development Policy study concluded that a dramatic increase (about 20%) in cycling worldwide could “cut carbon dioxide emissions from urban passenger transport by nearly 11 percent in 2050.” (bicycling.com)
- In 2019, direct greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from the transport sector accounted for 23% of global energy-related CO2 emissions, with 70% of direct transport emissions coming from road vehicles. Case studies suggest that active mobility like walking and cycling could reduce emissions from urban transport by up to 10%. (UCI)
Bottom line: Cycling allows individuals to lead a healthier, more sustainable lifestyle. And when an entire society adopts cycling, it can profoundly impact the climate.
Dig deeper → 4 min
Air purifiers can do the job of both air-purifying and detoxifying, but their also noisy, ugly, and costly. Thankfully, natural plants clean the air too. Plus, a lush green plant adds a lot more to your interior decor than a giant air purifier.
Here are nine air purifying indoor plants that serve as beautiful home decorations. They're great additions to any home décor scheme while also working to eliminate pollutants that may harm you and your family.
Dig deeper → 2 min
Ethical Clothing founders Ben Heinkel and Jack Hesketh had the same problem, so they built a solution. Meet the new ethical and sustainable clothing search engine Ethical Clothing, a platform built for sustainable shopping.
Ethical Clothing focuses on ethical brands, helping eco-conscious shoppers quickly search and filter for sustainable clothing.
Dig deeper → 5 min
This week, we sat down with Closed Loop Partners CEO Ron Gonen. Closed Loop Partners is a New York based investment firm comprised of venture capital, growth equity, private equity and project finance as well as an innovation center focused on building the circular economy.
During our conversation, we covered pressing topics like social entrepreneurship, sustainable investing, and climate optimism.
Dig deeper ➝ 3 min
Busy? Try the speed read.
Everyone deserves to have the wedding day of their dreams, but that doesn’t need to come at the cost of the environment. Let’s find out how to create a sustainable wedding.
- Go For Vintage Jewelry
- Vintage engagement or wedding rings are good for the environment and your bank account.
- Vintage jewelry is VAT exempt
- Not to mention, it is breathtakingly beautiful with a depth of history for you to enjoy.
- Ask Your Venue About Environmental Commitment
- How do they dispose of food waste? What is their recycling policy? Are they energy efficient?
- Allow Bridesmaids To Choose Own Dress
- If you choose the dress for your bridesmaids, it isn’t guaranteed that they will wear it again, and we know that wearing clothes once and never again is not very environmentally friendly!
- Allow your bridesmaids to choose their own dresses.
- Rent The Groomsmen Tuxes
- You can get higher quality suits by renting.
- It will be cheaper and far less waste will be produced
- Consider Vegan Menu
- Better for the environment, and can be elegant when done right.
- Choose In Season Flowers
- Choosing seasonal flowers will help you to capture the season of your wedding beautifully, giving a timeless and beautiful addition to your wedding décor.
- Choosing local and seasonal flowers also cut out the need to import flowers from abroad or even across the country.
- Eco-Friendly Wedding Favors
- Give out eco-friendly wedding favors. Choose biodegradable flower bombs or vegan chocolate from a local shop.
Dig deeper ➝ 5 min