How environmental policy works
- Congress enacts laws that enable federal agencies to create environmental regulations
- Under the President’s guidance, the EPA Administrator sets national standards
- State and local governments create and implement the actual policies
- State-level policies can support investment in green energy.
- Local officials set water policy to provide residents access to clean water.
Why your vote matters
- By electing city council members, state congresspeople and representatives who champion environmental policies, voters can make their environmental concerns heard.
The bottom line
- If voters prioritize climate change, politicians will too.
- Though you may feel your vote doesn’t matter in elections, it does.
→ Dig deeper 4 min