Rating: It's a start
Price: $ $ $ $
Our “Planet” rating evaluates brands based on the environmental policies in their supply chains, from carbon emissions and wastewater to business models and product circularity. In this evaluation, we have rated Rains as “Not Good Enough”. There are several factors influencing this score.
- Firstly, Rains uses few lower-impact materials. While this is a step in the right direction, it is not enough to significantly reduce the environmental impact of their products.
- Secondly, there is no evidence to suggest that Rains is taking meaningful action to reduce water use in their production processes. This is a crucial aspect of sustainable manufacturing.
- Thirdly, Rains does not provide any evidence that they are minimizing textile waste in their supply chain. The fashion industry is known for its high levels of textile waste, and it is important for brands to address this issue.
- Lastly, there is no evidence to suggest that Rains is taking meaningful action to reduce or eliminate hazardous chemicals in their manufacturing processes. This is important for the well-being of both workers and the environment.
On our “People” rating, which assesses brands’ policies and practices regarding workers’ rights, Rains has also been rated as “Not Good Enough”. Here are a few factors influencing this score:
- Rains partly traces its supply chain, including all of the final production stage. While this is a positive step, it is important for brands to have full traceability in order to ensure ethical practices.
- Rains has a Code of Conduct that covers the International Labour Organization (ILO) Four Fundamental Freedoms principles. This shows a commitment to workers’ rights.
- Rains audits its suppliers, but they do not state how often these audits occur. Regular audits are important to ensure ongoing compliance with ethical standards.
- Unfortunately, there is no evidence to suggest that Rains ensures workers are paid living wages in their supply chain. This is a crucial aspect of fair and ethical labor practices.
Our “Animals” rating focuses on brands’ animal welfare policies and their ability to trace animal-derived products. In this evaluation, Rains has been rated as “Great”. This is because Rains states that their entire product range is vegan, indicating a commitment to animal welfare.
Based on all publicly available information we have reviewed, we rate Rains as “It’s a Start” overall. While there are some positive aspects, such as their commitment to animal welfare, there are also significant areas where they need to improve, particularly in their environmental and labor practices. We hope that Rains will take these evaluations into consideration and work towards becoming a more sustainable and ethical brand in the future.