Planet Rating: Good
Our “Planet” rating evaluates brands based on the environmental policies in their supply chains, from carbon emissions and wastewater to business models and product circularity. In this regard, Sun50 has received a “Good” rating. There are several factors that have influenced this score:
- It uses a medium proportion of lower-impact materials, including organic cotton. This indicates a conscious effort to reduce the environmental impact of its products.
- To minimize waste, Sun50 limits its production runs. By producing only what is necessary, the brand is taking steps towards sustainability.
- In an effort to reduce the climate impact of long-distance shipping, Sun50 manufactures its products closer to home. This reduces carbon emissions associated with transportation.
- However, there is no evidence to suggest that Sun50 takes action to minimize its packaging, which is a significant driver of plastic waste. This is an area where improvement is needed.
People Rating: It’s a Start
Workers’ rights are central to our “People” rating, which assesses brands’ policies and practices on everything from child labour to living wages and gender equality. Sun50 has received an “It’s a Start” rating in this category. The following factors have influenced this score:
- The final production stage of Sun50’s products happens in the USA, which is considered a medium-risk country for labour abuse. While it is commendable that the brand is not operating in high-risk countries, there is still room for improvement.
- There is no evidence to suggest that Sun50 has a Code of Conduct in place. A Code of Conduct outlines the brand’s commitment to workers’ rights and ethical practices.
- On a positive note, Sun50 visits its suppliers regularly. This demonstrates a level of transparency and accountability in the brand’s supply chain.
- However, there is no evidence to suggest that Sun50 ensures workers are paid living wages in its supply chain. This is an important consideration for ethical and sustainable practices.
Animals Rating: It’s a Start
Our “Animals” rating focuses on brands’ animal welfare policies and how well they trace their animal-derived products. Sun50 has received an “It’s a Start” rating in this category. The following factors have influenced this score:
- There is no evidence to suggest that Sun50 has an animal welfare policy in place. This is an area where the brand can improve its commitment to the ethical treatment of animals.
- It appears that Sun50 uses leather in its products. Leather production can have significant environmental and ethical implications.
- However, it doesn’t appear that Sun50 uses wool, down, fur, angora, exotic animal skin, or exotic animal hair in its products. This indicates a level of consideration for animal welfare.
Overall Rating: Good
Based on all publicly available information we’ve reviewed, Sun50 receives an overall rating of “Good”. While there are areas for improvement in the brand’s environmental policies, it is commendable that Sun50 uses lower-impact materials and limits production runs to reduce waste. Additionally, the brand’s commitment to workers’ rights by visiting suppliers regularly is a positive aspect. However, there is a need for Sun50 to develop and implement a clear animal welfare policy. By addressing these areas, Sun50 can further enhance its sustainability efforts and improve its overall rating.