- The GND was founded on the belief that environmental issues are overlooked and underfunded
- The GND gained traction in 2018, when the Democratic Party took control of the house.
- Biden offered support to the GND, but differs on some policies like an immediate ban on all fracking activities.
Between the lines Biden has been urged to beef up his climate policy platform by climate advocacy groups to deal with the challenges global warming presents.
- Theodore Roosevelt’s Square Deal prioritized conservation of natural resources, control of corporations and consumer protection.
- Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal prioritised relief for poor, economic recovery and financial reform.
- Johnson’s Great Society aimed at alleviating social justice and education reform.
Key talking points
- It helps secure a sustainable future.
- Our society needs a paradigm shift towards the clean energy sector, this legislation could be among the last chances to make that happen.
- The GND is perhaps the encouragement voters need to mitigate the effects of global warming by utilizing the power of voting.
Dig deeper → 4 min