Busy? Try the speed read.
The scoop: 600 gallons of oil spilled into the San Francisco Bay yesterday from a Chevron refinery.
Some notes on the disaster:
- Solutions exist, restoration efforts are more innovative, why does this keep happening?
- Media tends to direct focus on corporations and federal government, but what role do local politics play in preventing environmental disasters?
Food for thought:
Looking back at the Chevron oil spill of 2021, we should be asking ourselves:
- Why did the oil spill happen?
- What actors played a role in this disaster?
- What steps can these actors take to prevent it from ever happening again?
Bottom line: If the answer is primarily political, sadly, it may not happen fast enough to stop the next disaster.
Dig deeper → 3 min