Busy? Try the speed read.
The scoop: Patagonia is a forward-thinking billion-dollar brand. But there is always work to be done. Let's see how they chalk up.
Is Patagonia sustainable?
- Patagonia uses mostly recycled materials.
- They have a lifetime return and repair program for all of their products.
- Patagonia still uses animals in their supply chain, but they try to do it as responsibly as possible. I'd rather see no animal use.
- They are slightly above average when it comes to labor conditions.
- Patagonia looks to go carbon neutral by 2025.
Zoom out: Patagonia hits on the environmental side, but they have some work to do, especially regarding transparency & ethics surrounding suppliers and animal welfare.
Dig deeper → 3 min
The scoop The fashion industry faces criticism for not following environmental standards to produce cheaper closet updates. Once again. But at what cost?
At the expense of exploiting cheap labor and adding to the global problem of industrial pollution. Brands such as Zara have been at the center of this heated debate as they continue to follow their fast business models.
The invisible price tag
- Online fashion houses such as Zaful, Shein and Romwe make millions on their fashion lines by taking advantage of low-wage labor in sweatshops in China and other parts of Asia.
- Customers fall victim to the low prices of their goods but a rising number in the online consumer market have complained about the sub-standard quality of the items they purchase.
- Consumers of fast fashion tend to ignore the moral and environmental standards that companies disregard.
What are the consequences?
- Over 265 million children globally are enslaved by manufacturing houses found guilty of illegal labour practices.
- As of 2017, only 15% of old clothes were recycled.
- Companies such as Zaful make greenwashing claims about their sustainability programs but there is a shadow of doubt as to what their policies on environmental management actually are?
Eco-friendly goes beyond price
- There are strict sustainability guidelines which restrict organic cloth manufacturers from scaling their production.
- Sustainable fashion must enable the consumers to lead more minimalist lifestyles.
Choose slow fashion
- Consider quality over quantity. What is that you really need?
- Leverage your purse by purchasing from sustainable brands in order to facilitate the shift towards a sustainable industry.
- Upcycle by using old fabrics for other uses once you’re done using the fashion item, to create a circular consumption pattern for yourself.
Dig deeper → 4 min