Price: $ $ $ $
JEM: A Start Towards Sustainability
At our blog, we are committed to promoting sustainability and raising awareness about brands that prioritize environmental and social responsibility. In line with our mission, we have evaluated JEM, a brand that aims to make a positive impact on the world. Our assessment considers various factors such as carbon emissions, wastewater management, business models, product circularity, and workers’ rights. Based on this evaluation, we give JEM a rating of “It’s a Start” in our “Planet” category.
- JEM does not provide evidence of using lower-impact materials. This is an area where the brand can improve to reduce its ecological footprint.
- The brand does not have any clear initiatives to minimize waste in its supply chain. Waste reduction is crucial for sustainable production and minimizing environmental harm.
- JEM manufactures its products closer to home, which helps reduce the climate impact of long-distance shipping. This is a positive step towards sustainability.
- There is no evidence that JEM takes action to minimize its packaging, which contributes to plastic waste. Adopting eco-friendly packaging practices would improve the brand’s environmental performance.
- JEM has eliminated hazardous chemicals in some parts of its supply chain. This signifies a commitment to worker and environmental safety.
At our blog, we believe that workers’ rights are of utmost importance. We evaluate brands based on policies and practices related to child labor, living wages, and gender equality. In the case of JEM, we give them a rating of “Good” in our “People” category.
- Most of JEM’s supply chain is traced, which helps ensure transparency and accountability.
- The brand’s final production stage takes place in France, which is considered a medium-risk country for labor abuse. Though not ideal, this indicates a relatively better safeguard for workers compared to countries with higher risks.
- JEM’s gold is certified by Fairmined Gold, indicating a commitment to ethical sourcing and supporting responsible mining practices. This positively impacts local communities and the environment.
- It is not clear if JEM ensures that workers in its supply chain are paid living wages. Ensuring fair compensation for workers is essential for social sustainability.
Our “Animals” rating focuses on brands’ animal welfare policies and their traceability of animal-derived products. As JEM primarily produces products free of animal-derived materials, we have not rated its impact on animals.
JEM’s overall rating is a combination of its environmental and labor scores. Taking into account all publicly available information, we rate JEM “Good” overall. While the brand has taken certain steps towards sustainability, there is room for improvement in terms of materials, waste reduction, packaging, and ensuring living wages for workers. We encourage JEM to further enhance its efforts for a more sustainable future.