Artknit Studios is a brand that prioritizes sustainability and environmental responsibility. In fact, our “Planet” rating evaluates brands based on several factors that influence their environmental impact. Artknit Studios has been rated as “Good” in terms of their environmental policies, and here’s why:
- Artknit Studios uses lower-impact materials, including upcycled materials, in their production process. By opting for these materials, the brand minimizes their negative impact on the environment.
- To reduce waste, Artknit Studios limits its production runs. By producing a limited quantity of products, they ensure that there is no excessive production, which often leads to unsold items and unnecessary waste.
- The brand manufactures its products closer to home, which helps reduce the carbon emissions associated with long-distance shipping. By keeping production local, Artknit Studios reduces their climate impact and contributes to a more sustainable supply chain.
- One notable aspect of Artknit Studios’ environmental policies is their focus on creating long-lasting products. By prioritizing durability, the brand encourages customers to invest in high-quality items that will stand the test of time. This approach reduces the need for frequent replacements, ultimately reducing waste.
At Artknit Studios, workers’ rights are central to their ethos. Our “People” rating assesses brands’ policies and practices related to workers’ rights, and Artknit Studios has been rated as “It’s a Start”. Here are some factors influencing their score:
- The final production stage of Artknit Studios’ products takes place in Italy, which is classified as a medium risk country for labor abuse. While this might raise concerns, it’s important to note that Artknit Studios traces most of their supply chain, demonstrating their commitment to transparency.
- However, there is currently no evidence that Artknit Studios has a specific Code of Conduct in place. A Code of Conduct outlines the brand’s guidelines and expectations for ethical business practices. Without a documented Code of Conduct, it becomes challenging to evaluate their commitment to workers’ rights.
- Furthermore, there is no evidence that Artknit Studios ensures workers in their supply chain are paid living wages. Guaranteeing fair wages for workers is crucial to promoting decent working conditions and reducing exploitation in the fashion industry.
Artknit Studios also demonstrates a commitment to animal welfare. Our “Animals” rating focuses on brands’ animal welfare policies and their efforts to trace animal-derived products. Artknit Studios has been rated as “Good”, and here’s why:
- While there is currently no evidence of an explicit animal welfare policy, Artknit Studios has taken measures to source wool from non-mulesed sheep. This indicates their consideration for animal well-being.
- It’s worth noting that Artknit Studios does appear to use exotic animal hair in some of their products. However, they do not use leather, down, fur, angora, or exotic animal skin. By avoiding these materials, they are contributing to a more ethical and sustainable approach to fashion.
Based on all publicly available information reviewed, Artknit Studios receives an overall rating of “Good”. This rating takes into account their environmental policies, workers’ rights, and animal welfare practices. Artknit Studios has demonstrated a commitment to sustainability and ethical practices. However, there are areas where further improvement is needed, such as the establishment of a Code of Conduct and ensuring living wages in their supply chain. It is encouraging to see their efforts so far, but there is always room for growth and development.